Monday, February 12, 2007

Straight from Pezcyclingnews.com

Oh Yeah...The Big News
Discovery is pulling out of the bike racing business come 2008. This leaves the Discovery Channel Professional Cycling Team in a somewhat tenuous position, as 15 million dollars to fund arguably one of the biggest budget teams on the ProTour ain't quite pocket change. In a statement, Discovery said it was proud to sponsor the team for three seasons, but "we have decided to aggressively shift our focus and resources to support our core business goals and objectives."It's probably pretty easy to find a huge sponsor like the one Tailwind Sports needs in the current cycling climate - not only in terms of doping and a horribly tarnished image, but what of the Grand Tours deciding seemingly randomly who they want in their races? So I've got 15 million - how do I know my company's name won't be smeared all over the presses as a team of dopers, and if they're not, will my team even get into the Tour de France? Or if I have a 'suspected' rider who is a huge favorite to win the whole damn thing, will he even be allowed to start?
Sounds like a flaming good idea to me.
I'd go NASCAR.

No comments: